• From This is Money:

    There are no rules saying that homes have to insure residents’ possessions. One of the largest groups, Bupa, which has 300 care homes around the country, does not provide cover.
    A spokesman says: ‘It’s the responsibility of individual residents, as stated in our terms and conditions. However, if we are responsible for an item being lost or damaged, we will reimburse the cost.
    ‘In addition, we provide our residents with secure facilities such as a lockable drawer in their rooms.’ However, most homes will provide a safe where valuables such as jewellery and ornaments can be locked away.
    Even those homes that do include residents’ possessions in their contents insurance may not provide sufficient cover. Often the limit for valuables is as low as £500 per resident.
    The option is to buy a stand-alone policy. These are difficult to find as insurers are often deterred by the risk because residents are in shared accommodation, where staff and visitors are often around and they m…

    Click to read the full article »

    Posted by Jon @ 4:04 pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *